Marta is an associate in our corporate and commercial department where she practices business law with a focus on franchising. She regularly advises on the preparation of franchise disclosure documents and related commercial agreements, and on various real estate and intellectual property matters, including the registration of trademarks. Marta has experience acting for clients in a variety of industries including retail, automotive, grocery, hospitality, manufacturing, and technology.
Prior to joining Sotos, Marta practiced at a global full-service law firm where she was seconded to a national bank. During law school, she participated in the Jessup International Law Moot Cup and served as an associate editor on the Osgoode Hall Law Journal. Prior to attending law school, Marta worked in research and product development in the financial services industry in New York City.
Marta volunteers at Pro Bono Ontario’s Corporate Law Clinic, advising small businesses and start-ups on various legal matters.
Marta is proficient in Spanish and French.
Assistant: Rose Montgomery
t: 416.977.5333 x 331
J.D., Osgoode Hall Law School, 2014
B.I.B. (Highest Honours), Carleton University, 2007
Articles and Appearances
- What’s In A Label? Trademark Protection And Grey Market Distribution, Sotos LLP Blog (June 28, 2018)
- A New Era For Retail: E-Commerce Comes To Grocery, Sotos LLP Blog (December 19, 2017)
- Franchising a Cannabis Business: What is the Law and Where is it Going?, Sotos LLP Blog (March 27, 2017)
- Rescission Insurance: Mitigating Risks for Franchisors, Sotos LLP Blog (January 03, 2017)
- Non-Traditional Trademarks: Exclusive Rights to Sounds, Scents, and Tastes, Sotos LLP Blog (October 06, 2016)
- Moderator – “Key Considerations for Franchisors in Selecting Insurance Policies”, CFA Franchise Law Day, Toronto, Ontario, September 22, 2016
- 10 things to look for in a franchise (part 1), Sotos LLP Blog (February 21, 2016)
June 28, 2018
What’s In A Label? Trademark Protection and Grey Market Distribution
December 19, 2017
A New Era For Retail: E-Commerce Comes To Grocery
March 27, 2017
Franchising a Cannabis Business: What is the Law and Where is it Going?
January 3, 2017
Rescission Insurance: Mitigating Risks For Franchisors
October 6, 2016
Non-Traditional Trademarks: Exclusive Rights to Sounds, Scents, and Tastes