Lou is head of the Private Client Group. Lou’s broadly based practice focuses on commercial transactions with an emphasis on real estate, secured lending transactions, trusts, and estates. He has significant experience providing strategic guidance to business clients through all stages of development, from start-ups, to mature and established businesses. In addition, he regularly advises clients on matters relating to acquisitions, divestitures, and inter-generational transfers and planning. Lou has worked with a wide range of clients throughout various industries including banks, biotechnology companies, and not-for-profit corporations in the health sciences field. As the head of the Private Client Group, he also offers counsel on estate administration, business succession, the administration of trusts, and business incorporation and reorganization.
A member of the Hellenic Canadian Lawyers Association (President 1991-1993), past member of the Board of Directors of the Toronto Board of Trade, the Hellenic Canadian Board of Trade, and a past commissioner of the Ontario Human Rights Commission, Lou currently acts as secretary and counsel to a TSX and NASDAQ listed biotechnology company, sits as a director for various private companies, and is co-trustee with corporate and individual trustees in administering family trusts on behalf of his clients.
Assistant: Susan Earle
t: 416.977.5333 x 318
LL.B., University of Western Ontario, 1980
M.B.A. York University, specialty in Financial Analysis, 1981
- Named “Legal Eagle” by Franchise Times magazine, 2014-2018, Top Franchise Lawyers in North America
- Secretary and counsel to a TSX and NASDAQ listed biotechnology company
- Sits as a director on numerous private companies
- Acts as trustee for a number of family trusts with other co-trustees, both individual and institutional
- Do you rent your home or part of a home to residential tenants?, Sotos LLP Blog (April 27, 2018))
- Ontario to ring in the New Year with more Land Transfer Taxes, Sotos LLP Blog (December 06, 2016)
- Province of Ontario goes looking for tax revenue – identifies estates as a source, Sotos LLP Blog (November 30, 2012)
- Is your wealth in private companies investments? Consider multiple wills, Sotos LLP Blog (January 10, 2012)
- Financial statements and the disclosure document, In the know (Fall 2008)