Class action litigation requires a depth of resources and a breadth of experience.
Sotos LLP is a recognized leader in class action litigation in Canada. We take on complex and challenging class actions across all industries, and prosecute them to conclusion. With a large and experienced team of class action professionals, we match resources against the largest defence firms in the country. Our cases have been at the forefront of the development of the law in diverse areas including employment (wage and hour litigation), antitrust (Competition Act), privacy, consumer protection and franchising and distribution. The firm is ranked by Chambers Global – Canada 2016 for dispute resolution: class actions (plaintiff).
Examples of our class actions include:
- Obtained a $45 million judgment against a major Canadian law firm in a class action by former GM dealers.
- Co-counsel in the recently-settled employment class action against Scotiabank and a similar outstanding case against CIBC alleging unpaid overtime.
- Co-counsel in the retirement benefit class action on behalf of 3,300 retired salaried and executive employees of GM Canada. The case was won on summary judgment and subsequently resolved in a settlement worth approximately $135 million.
- Co-counsel on several class action lawsuits concerning alleged price-fixing among automobile parts manufacturers. This is believed to be the largest group of price-fixing cases in an industry in Canadian history.
- Leading a lawsuit on behalf of nearly a million Ontario customers of Bell Mobility and related brands alleging that Bell breaches its contracts with its customers by seizing credit balances and that Bell engages in “unfair business practices” contrary to Ontario’s Consumer Protection Act.
- Leading a class action on behalf of Canadian Midas dealers alleging that Midas Canada breached its duties of good faith and fair dealing to the dealers by eliminating a preferential purchasing system which was an integral part of the Midas franchise system.
Class Action Videos
This video explains the basics of class actions. You will learn what a class action is, how it proceeds and how you might be able to become involved in a new or ongoing class action.
This video provides information about the role of the representative plaintiff in a class action. You will learn about the duties of a representative plaintiff, how the representative plaintiff is involved in a class action and whether you might be able to act as a representative plaintiff in a class action.