Arthur is counsel to the Toronto law firm Sotos LLP, limiting his practice to business law with a special emphasis on franchising and licensing. Arthur was General Counsel to the Canadian Franchise Association from 1983 to 1993. He has been a member of the American Bar Association’s Forum Committee on Franchising since 1984. He has been named every year since its inception in The Canadian Legal LEXPERT Directory as one of the leading franchise practitioners.
Arthur represented Canada on the Franchise Industry Advisory Committee of the North American Securities Administrators Association (NASAA) from 1985 to 1993, participating in the drafting of NASAA’s Model Franchise Investment Act and the 1985 and 1993 revisions to NASAA’s Uniform Franchise Offering Circular (UFOC) Guidelines. The UFOC Guidelines were adopted by all jurisdictions in the United States that regulate franchise sales, and the disclosure content requirements of Canadian franchise legislation are mostly copied from the UFOC Guidelines.
He has spoken and written extensively on structuring unit and multi-level international and domestic franchise systems, strategic partnering, protection of intellectual property, franchise registration, disclosure and relationship laws, and franchise compliance, enforcement and dispute resolution techniques.
Assistant: Sally Raulino
t: 416.977.5333 x 304
LL.B, University of Toronto
- Consistently listed in the Canadian Legal LEXPERT Directory for Franchising Law
- Consistently listed in Who’s Who Legal: Canada as a leading Canadian franchise law practitioner
- Named “Legal Eagle” by Franchise Times magazine, 2013-2015, Top Franchise Lawyers in North America
- Consistently listed in Best Lawyers in Canada
- Consistently listed in the International Who’s Who of Franchise Lawyers, International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers, and Who’s Who Legal: Canada
- Best Lawyers “Lawyer of the Year” Franchise Law (2013, Toronto)
- Served as General Counsel to the Canadian Franchise Association from 1983 to 1993
- Represented Canada on the Franchise Industry Advisory Committee of the North American Securities Administrators Association (NASAA) from 1985 to 1993, participating in the drafting of NASAA’s Model Franchise Investment Act and the revisions to NASAA’s Uniform Franchise Offering Circular (UFOC) and the UFOC Guidelines
Publications and Seminars
- Written and spoken throughout North America on such subjects as structuring unit and multi-level franchise systems, international master franchising, strategic partnering, protection of intellectual property, franchise registration/disclosure laws and compliance techniques, franchise relationship laws, contract enforcement and alternative dispute resolution methods
August 10, 2016
Sotos LLP recognized as “Top Listed” firm by Best Lawyers®
June 30, 2016
Lexpert names Sotos LLP as top boutique firm for franchising law. Seven lawyers listed in Lexpert.
November 5, 2013
Sotos Leads Way In New “Who’s Who Legal”
August 19, 2013
Sotos lawyers lead list of “Who’s Who” in franchising
July 8, 2013
Sotos LLP in the 2013 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory